Thursday, April 25, 2013

PLE 12: Group Differences Forum

I really enjoyed participating in the group differences forum.  It was interesting to discuss significant topics with people who share similar interests with me.  Additionally, I felt as though basing our discussion around scholarly articles not only allowed us to offer educated responses, but also prevented emotional reactions to controversial topics.  In addition to the topics discussed, I think homelessness would be another significant topic to include, perhaps combined with poverty.

Prior to the forum, I had basic thoughts and knowledge about each specific topic; however, I gained insight into different facets of each topic by hearing other people's experiences, perspectives, and beliefs.  This activity encouraged me to consider where I stand in regard to each topic and why I believe what I believe.  Each person brought something unique to the discussion, which heightened the quality of the conversation. 

In particular, the topic of religion in schools sparked my attention.  Even though I have spent an entire semester studying as part of the Urban Multicultural Cohort, I have never discussed religion.  I find this interesting because religion is a viable part of many individual's cultures.  If teachers are encouraged to provide resources and lead discussions that introduce and educate students about various traditions and beliefs from a variety of cultures, why is religion excluded from this instruction?  In order to promote students' understanding and acceptance of different religions, I think teachers should discuss different religious beliefs.  Otherwise, different religions will be foreign to these students, which could spark conflict and intolerance in the future.  This is one topic I wish we had gotten to spend more time discussing because it is often a taboo topic that gets neglected.    

My goal for the group differences forum was to not hesitate to jump in the conversation.  I feel as though I met this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment